The European Association for Southeast Asian Studies will award two book prizes at the 9th EuroSEAS Conference in Oxford, 16-18 August 2017.
1) The EuroSEAS Humanities Book Prize for the best academic book on Southeast Asia published in the humanities – including archaeology, art history, history, literature, performing arts and religious studies.
2) The EuroSEAS Social Science Book Prize for the best academic book on Southeast Asia published in the social sciences – including anthropology, economics, law, politics and international relations, and sociology.
We kindly invite you to submit books for these prizes by sending copies directly to the members of the jury mentioned below. A shortlist of three books in each category will be announced on the EuroSEAS website on 1 July 2017. Announcement of the winners will be during the conference.
Notes on eligibility
• Only books written in English carrying a 2015 or 2016 date will be eligible.
• The same book will not be considered for both prizes – please submit to the most applicable category. If in doubt about which category applies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The prize committees will reserve the right to cross-refer as they find appropriate. Only single-authored or co-authored research monographs are eligible: no edited volumes or textbooks. Translations of literary works are not eligible.
• There are no residency or citizenship requirements for authors, and no location requirements for publishers.
• Nominations should be made by the publishers of the book. There is no limit to the number of books an individual publisher may nominate.
• The decisions of the judges shall be final
• Copies of nominated books should be mailed directly to members of the prize committees by 15 April 2017.
Members of the jury of the Humanities Book Prize:
Mandy Sadan (School of Oriental and African Studies)
81 Hugh Allen Crescent
OX3 0HL England
Ariel Heryanto (Monash Asia Institute)
Herb Feith Professor for the Study of Indonesia
Monash Asia Institute
H553, Level 5
Henk Schulte Nordholt (KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies)
2311 BE Leiden
PO Box 9515
Members of the jury of the Social Science Book Prize:
Oona Paredes (National University of Singapore)
Department of Southeast Asian Studies
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
National University of Singapore
Blk AS8, Level 6
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Ardeth Maung Thawnghmung (University of Massachusetts)
Department of Political Science
University of Massachusetts, Lowell
Dugan Hall, Suite 201
883 Broadway Street, Lowell, MA 01854
Duncan McCargo (Columbia University)
Weatherhead East Asian Institute
Mail Code 3333
909A International Affairs Building
420 West 118th Street